Friday, September 14, 2012

Giving in to Instagram

I did it. I caved.

I downloaded Instagram ages ago, but I never set up an account. I was already using Hipstamatic, and I didn't see anything that made Instagram better, or even that much different. But then dumb me went and downloaded a Pak that didn't support my sad old iOS version, and poof, there went Hipstamatic. I went without for months, but I have to admit, there's just something about those mock low-fi, square format photos. So recently I created an Instagram account and became an instant addict.

That lead me to wonder - what is it about these inexpensive little photography apps that's so appealing? I spent thousands on my DSLR and lenses so I can get the cleanest, sharpest, high-res images I can and my current obsession is a 2mp iPhone 3G camera and a cheap app that makes my photos look like they're from a bygone era? It doesn't make sense.

But it does. I used to carry my DSLR with me everywhere, and admittedly it got cumbersome. Let's face it, my phone's camera takes crappy pics - but it's light and always with me, and the effects make my shots a little more interesting. You won't find them on my site (at the very least not until I upgrade my phone), but they're fun for capturing things that grab my interest but don't warrant much more than a passing snap. And for the casual photographer who may not have access to expensive equipment and editing software, it's an easy, accesable way to make cool images that can be instantly shared with friends.

Here's some of what I've been snapping. Follow me (@mpike_27) to see more, and if you've got an Instagram account, share it in the comments so I can follow you too!

Times Square
Breakfast cart coffee
Mosaic
High Line throwback
Ghosted
Sand art

No comments:

Post a Comment